Dororo by Osamu Tezuka (6)

 For this week’s assignment I decided to read Dororo, by Osamu Tezuka. To be honest, I found myself getting confused with the layout and reading direction. After all, this is my first time reading manga. While reading Dororo, one thing I found interesting and rather hilarious was the main character. It could be my weird sense of humor, but taking off one's arm to reveal a sword? Throughout the story we learn that the main character, Hyakkimaru, was the rejected baby from the beginning. He has no arms or legs, no eyes, or ears. Along Hyakkimaru’s demon slaying journey, he meets an orphan named dororo. Without spoiling anything, from there the story starts picking up quickly. The art style used for this manga is amazing! I really liked the rhythm and fluidity of the delicate line work. It gave the characters and their motions so much movement and emotion. One thing stood out to me was the design of the cover. You can tell that this cover, spine, and the back cover, took some time to design. The simplistic and contemporary design is brilliant. It gives the book a more sophisticated appearance, and it really works well with the story. I kind of wanted to see more of that incorporated in the thought it the story. Another thing I really appreciated was layout and compositions. I feel like the unique style and compositions of each frame, really work together to form a cohesive work. Overall I really enjoyed this manga and the wholesome ending!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty in Ink (5)

The Arrival By Shaun Tan (3)

Arkham Asylum (4)