Ghost In the Shell (6)

 For this week’s assignment I decided to read Ghost In the Shell, by Shirow Masamune. This Manga primary focuses on the character Motoko Kusanagi, who is a cyborg with a human brain. It also consists of the cyberpunk world, advanced  technology, and futuristic politics. When I began reading this, I knew that this story took a lot of time to create. The world itself is so complex and detailed. You really have to pay attention to understand what’s really going on in the story. To be honest, I found some parts confusing. I didn’t really mind it though. Overall my experience throughout this comic was pretty positive! Except for that one graphic part. But then again, it wasn’t intended for children. I found it really refreshing to read something this detailed. I thought the detailed characters, environments, and technology designs were remarkable! This was my first time reading a futuristic/cyberpunk graphic novel. Even though I did read the Black Incal, I feel like this one is more memorable. One thing I loved about this comic was the art style or approach utilized. The style used was different from all the other ones I’ve seen! This cyberpunk comic used simplistic line work with colored ink washes, and metallic or chrome highlights. I wished the rest of the comic was in color because it really supports everything that is going on. Along with the color, it enhances the dramatic compositions in each frame. Without the color, some of the elements get kind of lost. line work is impeccable and so delicate, but I feel like it gets too delicate at times. I feel like the ghostly halftone somewhat helps indicate those lost elements, but it just needs just a little more. Don't get me wrong the art is amazing, especially detailed cityscapes, line work and everything! I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty in Ink (5)

The Arrival By Shaun Tan (3)

Arkham Asylum (4)