Arkham Asylum (4)

 For this week’s assignment I read Arkham Asylum, by Grant Morrison and Dave Mckean. I really enjoyed this comic book! The story itself is organized and illustrated in a chaotic, but understandable format. Just reading this you feel like you're in a fever dream or an endless horror movie. It's a very different and refreshing experience from your typical comic book. Even the iconic villains were somewhat reimagined. I really appreciated this, especially with the textured mix media approach used. I feel like comic books with a fresh take can go either way. This comic has done an excellent job pushing the boundaries, while still staying true to Batman. Without a doubt, I can say this comic became one of my favorites! The story itself is a psychological and visual adventure. One thing that stood out to me right away was the art style. I've never seen anything like this before! It’s different and refreshing. You can easily tell this was created from a fine arts perspective. I think this bold style really supports this dark and gritty story. To be honest, at times it was a little too much, and it interfered with the page layout. I also thought the font selection was a bit over the top. I felt like the joker didn't need his own font for this story. I felt like it made everything inconsistent. If the type was “standard comic font” and same, I felt like it would have supported the unique art. I must say, the art is impeccable. The use of both selective color and bold textures really fits the story. The art style is a handful of iconic styles merged together, which fits the chaotic tone of Arkham Asylum. Even the thumbnails are amazing! Everything done with this art really supports the story. I admire that because it is hard sometimes getting that perfect balance! I personally think that's what makes a work unforgettable!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty in Ink (5)

The Arrival By Shaun Tan (3)